Matt on Social Justice and Civil Rights
Matt’s Results for San Francisco
- Authored legislation to prohibit SFPD from using kinetic impact projectiles, disorientation devices, or military-grade equipment during an assembly, demonstration, protest, or gathering.
- Co-sponsored the CAREN Act (Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies) with Board President Shamann Walton to make racially-biased 911 calls illegal.
- Advocated to close the youth jail in San Francisco and instead invest in more effective, evidence-based services and treatment for young people.
- Delivered a budget that included housing subsidies for trans and HIV-positive people, and $12 million to acquire a home for the country's first standalone LGBTQ+ museum.
- Made the SF Eagle a historic landmark, becoming the first LGBTQ leather historic landmark in San Francisco and the first LGBTQ historic landmark in SoMa.
Matt’s Commitments in the Assembly
- Support legislation that dismantles systemic racism and classism in California’s institutions.
- Author legislation that focuses on paid family leave, universal childcare, protections from pregnancy discrimination, and access to family planning services.
- Strengthen laws that allow us to discipline and fire police officers who are abusing the public or violating civil rights.
- Protect and expand all civil liberties for Californians regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or immigration status.