Matt on Public Safety
Matt’s Results for San Francisco
- Invested millions of dollars into new initiatives to stop hate crimes and provide victims and their families with support services.
- Called for and supported a declaration of a state of emergency over San Francisco’s drug overdose crisis to bring an unprecedented level of focus and coordination to confront the drug epidemic.
- Increased funding for community safety ambassadors, foot patrols, and crisis response teams.
- Launched the “Street Level Drug Dealing Taskforce” to better coordinate resources and evidence-based strategies to stop the dealing of deadly narcotics.
Matt’s Commitments in the Assembly
- Invest in community policing and recruit from diverse communities so that law enforcement officers come from the communities they serve and possess necessary language skills and cultural literacy.
- Advocate for criminal justice reform that holds people accountable with effective consequences while investing in rehabilitation, treatment, reentry, and community-based courts.
- Support reforms that allow us to stop larger organized crime rings that are fueling the spike in retail theft and the deadly fentanyl epidemic.
- Help hate crime victims through a state fund for individuals and businesses affected by violence or vandalism.